Blog db 17_The Elusive Word 'se' ~cont'd~_080422R

 


jueves, 4 de agosto de 2022

Continuando un poco más con la escurridiza palabra 'se', el otro día la vi en un letrero colgado en la pared cuando lavaba la ropa. Como puede ver en la imagen, el letrero dice: "¡SI SE LAVA AQUÍ! ¡PUEDE SECAR AQUÍ!" Te lo confieso, en la pared de enfrente habían escrito en inglés algo así como: "If you washed it here! You can dry it here!" Pero, aún así, volviendo a las lecciones de transferencia de idiomas* de Mihalich Eleftheriou, él puede explicar la primera línea de arriba usando palabras en inglés como -- Estoy suponiendo un poco aquí, así que si alguien tiene una interpretación mejor que la que estoy evocando, ¡por favor interviene!: "¡Si tú mismo tú (formal "tú") lo lavas aquí! ¡Tú (formal "tú") puedes secarlo aquí!"

De LT* Track 48 (ver p. 287), por ejemplo, Mihalich ilustra tal idea con el verbo 'romper', cuando explica el significado de "SE ROMPE". Aquí, de acuerdo con mi explicación anterior, me tomaré la pequeña libertad de invertir el orden de cómo lo dice Mihalich cuando afirma: "se rompe a sí mismo" ( = "it breaks itself"), para, en cambio, "itself it breaks" donde el "itself" = "se" y el "it breaks" = "rompe".

Ahora bien, si tan solo pudiera sacar de mi mente todas estas palabritas sinvergüenzas para formular oraciones en español inteligibles juntas en tiempo real, creo que estaría llegando a alguna parte.

*Y aquí hay un enlace donde puedes ver la transcripción LT:

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5c69bfa4f4e531370e74fa44/t/5cdacdf3eef1a1286d2a2b0c/1557843500162/Complete+Spanish+transcript+-+2019+final.pdf

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, August 4th, 2022

Continuing a little more on the elusive word 'se', the other day I spotted it on a sign hanging on the wall when doing some laundry. As you can see from the picture, the sign reads: "SI SE LAVA AQUÍ! PUEDE SECAR AQUÍ!" I'll confess, on the opposite wall they'd written in English something like: "If you washed it here! You can dry it here!" But, still, going back to the Language Transfer* lessons of Mihalich Eleftheriou, he may explain the first line above using English words as -- I'm kind of guessing a little here so if somebody has a better interpretation than what I'm conjuring up, please chime in!: "If yourself you (formal "you") wash it here! You (formal "You") can dry here!" 

From LT* Track 48 (see p. 287), for instance, Mihalich illustrates such an idea with the verb 'romper' ( = to break), when he's explaining the meaning of "SE ROMPE". Here, in keeping with my above explanation, I'll take the small liberty to reverse the ordering of how Mihalich says it when stating: "it breaks itself", to, instead, "itself it breaks" where the 'se' = 'itself' and the 'rompe' = 'it breaks'.

Now if I could only take the training wheels of my mind off of all these rascally little words to actually formulate intelligible Spanish sentences together in real-time, I think I'd be getting somewhere.

*And here's a link where you can see the LT transcript: https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5c69bfa4f4e531370e74fa44/t/5cdacdf3eef1a1286d2a2b0c/1557843500162/Complete+Spanish+transcript+-+2019+final.pdf

Comments